Frequently Asked Questions

 What Is Classed As Demolition Works?

Firstly, demolition works are classed as Construction Works and involves the demolition or dis-mantling of a building (structure) or part thereof that is load-bearing or important to the physical integrity of the building (structure). The building or structure can be fixed or mobile, temporary or permanent.

The following are not classified as demolition works:

  • Dismantling of formwork, scaffolding or other structures designed to provide support, to be used as a support, or to access or provide containment during construction work
  • Removal of power, light or telecommunication poles

Do I Need Council Approval To Demolish My Property?

Yes, you will need to apply for a Development Approval, DA,  from your Local Council.  Residential demolitions are commonly considered a ‘Complying Development’ and approval is required.

The application is straight forward and fee/s are paid. Please contact your Local Council to find out what you need to do.

Here is a list of all NSW Local Councils.


How Long Does The Demolition Approval Take Through Council?

It usually takes around 7 to 14 days for the approval to be processed and issued.

What If My Local Council Asks For Supporting Documents For The Approval?

When you accept our quote we will provide any required documents, like a Waste Management Plan, Safe Work Method Statement, WorkCover Licence and Insurance.

What If My House (Or Other Structure) Has Asbestos In It?

All Asbestos is removed and disposed of in accordance with the Statutory Regulations.  If you are building on the site after the dwelling has been demolished, you will need to supply the Asbestos Clearance Certificate to Council or your Private Certifier.  We will forward the Clearance Certificate to you once final payment is received and the quoted amount is paid in full.

Common Demolition Terminology

Asbestos Containing Material:  Is any material containing Asbestos

Competent Person:  Is a person who has the necessasry training, qualifications, skill and experience to carry out the demo works

Essential Services:  Are Gas, Electricity, Water, Sewerage and Telecommunications

Exclusion Zone:  Is the area which ‘non-authorised’ persons are excluded from during demolition work.

Footing:  Is that part of the construction that transfers the weight of the structure to the foundations/ground

Pier:  Is a column or post supporting a structure such as floor bearers, verandas or beams.

Stability:  Is the ability of a structure to withstand over-turning, sliding, buckling, or collapse.


Common Excavation Terminology

Backfill:  Is the material used for refilling excavations

Bench:  Is a horizontal step cut into the face or side or wall of an excavation to provide horizontal bearing and sliding resistance

Geotechnical Engineer:  Is an Engineer who has qualifications and experience in soil stability and mechanics and excavation work

Sheet Piling:  Is vertical, close-spaced, or interlocking planks of steel, reinforced concrete or other structural material  that forms a continuous wall ahead of the excavation

Shoring:  Is the use of timber, steel or other structural sound material to support an excavation,  to prevent collapse

Soldier: Is a vertical upright steel or timber element used for supporting a trench wall

Trench:  Is a horizontal or inclined way or opening

Waler:  Is a horizontal steel or timber element used for supporting a trench wall


General Questions:

Do You Work On Small Jobs?

Yes, we have worked for Owner Builders looking for a demolisher to knock down their property so they can make way for their brand new home as well as Property Developers needing an experienced contractor for their sub-division or earth works.

What is the Australian Standard for Residential Demolitions?

It is AS2601.

Are You Approved by Workcover?

Yes our licence is valid until 2017.

Do You Provide Any Documentation That We May Need For Council?

Yes we can provide any document that you need including; WorkCover Demolition Approval, Safe Work Method Statement, Risk Assessment, Hazardous Materials Notice, Notice of Tool Box Meetings, Site Work Plan and our Work Health Safety Policy when required at the commencement of the project. All of our documents meet the statutory requirements.